The Chapman Taft House
Our office, located at 97 Elm Street, is the last of three surviving brownstone buildings on Bushnell Park. Originally lined with brownstones, the location was a popular location for fine homes in downtown Hartford.
The historic brownstone building was erected by Charles & Sara Chapman in 1861. Bought in 1873 by Dr. Cincinnatus A. Taft, who was a leading Hartford physician and also Mark Twain’s family doctor. Members of the Taft family lived in the home for nearly 40 years.
The building was purchased by Attorney Raynald B. Cantin in 1978 and lovingly restored in 1979. Original and period details, lost to the years, were replaced so that the home is again a showpiece of Hartford’s architectural history. The park level entry and patio were created in 1982. Fronting Bushnell Park and backing up to the Bushnell Auditorium, the property enjoys a wonderful proximity to numerous and popular Hartford events over the years.